2. How did Precious Ramtswe’s family prepare her to be a detective?
3. Do you think Mma. Ramotswe’s father would be proud of the business she started? How is it different than the type of business he might have expected her to buy with her inheritance?
4. How is the pace of life different in Botswana than it is in America?
5. How are men’s and women’s roles in Botswana portrayed in The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency? How are they different than in America? How does Mma. Ramotswe defy stereotypes about women’s roles?
6. Mma. Ramotswe is smart and intuitive, and yet she married Note when all signs pointed to him not being good. Why do you think she married him?
7. Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni feels conflicted about having to tell lies in order to help Mma. Ramotswe investigate the case with the witch doctor. When, if ever, do you think it is justified to lie? Is there a difference between the forms of deceit Mma. Ramotswe uses and lying? How does she justify her deceit?
8. Do you think Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni is different from other men (who cheat on their wives)? Do you think Mma. Ramotswe should marry him?
9. Discuss some of the mysteries Mma. Ramotswe solves. Which is your favorite case and why?