Using the Cricut EasyPress & Mug Press
For the safety of patrons and the equipment, the Cricut EasyPress and Mug Press must be used under the supervision of the Creative Services Coordinator. Request an appointment.
The Cricut EasyPress and Mug Press are mobile heat presses. The Cricut EasyPress has a flat 12” x 10” heat surface. This heat press allows you to make custom shirts, coasters, photo panels, bags, and more using a variety of different heat transferring options. The Mug Press is a circular heat press designs for transfering Infusible Ink decals or sublimation prints onto sublimation mugs.
The Cricut EasyPress helps you customize shirts, photo panels, coasters, and more using heat transfers. It can be used to heat iron-on vinyl (or heat transfer vinyl) decals to fabric, iron-on printable transfer sheets, or heat “sublimation prints” into “sublimation blanks.” For more information about iron-on vinyl (or heat transfer vinyl) projects, visit our info about the Cricut Maker and Silhouette Cameo 4. For more information about sublimation printing, visit our info about the Sawgrass SG1000 Sublimation Printer.
What equipment and tools does the Creative Studio have?
- 12” x 10” Cricut EasyPress 2
- 16”x20” Cricut EasyPress Mat
- Cricut Mug Press for 11-16oz straight wall mugs, diameter 3.2-3.4 inches, height up to 4.7 inches.
- Mug Press does not fit slanted wall, cappuccino mugs, curved tumblers, or skinny tumblers
- Teflon sheets
- Butcher Paper
- Heat Resistant Tape
What materials should I bring?
This is dependent on your project and your method of heat transfer.
For iron-on vinyl (or heat transfer vinyl), you will need iron-on vinyl and a design that can be cut using the Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4. You will also need a fabric item to decorate – shirt, bag, etc. Iron-on vinyl works with most fabrics, especially cotton and polyester blends. Avoid synthetic fabrics with low melting points or textured fabrics like terrycloth towels.
For Cricut Infusible Ink Sheets, you will need Infusible Ink Sheets and a design that can be cut using the Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4. Cricut Infusible Ink Sheets and Pens work with white or light colored polyester (at least 65% polyester), Cricut Infusible Ink Blanks, and other items listed as "sublimation blanks." If you are doing several Infusible Ink Sheets, please bring your own butcher paper. Click here to learn more about Cricut Infusible Ink.
For Sublimation Printing, you will need a PDF of your design that is ready to print with the Sublimation Printer and a “sublimation blank” that will absorb the sublimation ink. White or light colored polyester (at least 65% polyester) will absorb the sublimation ink. Other items should be listed as “sublimation blank” or “for sublimation.” If you are doing several sublimation prints, please bring your own butcher paper.
For the Cricut Mug Press, you need a Cricut Infusible Ink Mug Blank or a sublimation mug. Mugs should be 11-16oz with a "straight wall," a diameter of 3.2 - 3.4 inches (or 82 - 86 mm), and a maximum height of 4.7 inch. Cappuccino mugs, curved tumblers, and skinny tumblers will not fit in the mug press.
Not sure what materials you need for your project? Contact the Creative Services Coordinator at email@example.com.
How to use the EasyPress
To protect the equipment, patrons using the EasyPress for Sublimation Printing or Cricut Infusible Ink Projects must be supervised by the Creative Services Coordinator.
- Prepare your design first either with iron-on vinyl or sublimation printing.
- Follow the Sublimation Heat Guide or Cricut Heat Guide for recommend temperature and time settings. Pre-heat the EasyPress. Keep the EasyPress in the heat-resistant silicone base.
- Line up your design to your item. If needed, secure in place with heat resistant tape.
- Using Teflon sheets or butcher paper, add one layer under your item and one layer on top of your item. This prevents your materials from melting into the EasyPress heat surface or mat, and vice versa.
- Teflon sheets are for iron-on vinyl (or heat transfer vinyl) projects and are reusable.
- Butcher paper is for sublimation printing and Cricut Infusible Ink projects. These are one-time use only.
- Heat the item with the EasyPress Mat underneath to protect the tables.
- Once cooled, dispose of any leftover items like the sublimation paper or heat resistant transfer sheet.
How to use the Mug Press
To protect the equipment, patrons must be supervised by the Creative Services Coordinator.
- Prepare your design first either with Cricut Infusible Ink or sublimation printing.
- Turn the Cricut Mug Press on to allow it to pre-heat to 400F and open the lid.
- Line up your design on your item. Secure it using heat resistant tape.
- Cover the mug surface with butcher paper and secure with heat resistant tape.
- Place mug "right side up" in the Mug Press. Lower the lid to the mug press so it applies pressure to the mug.
- When it beeps, carefully remove the mug and place on a hot pad. CAUTION: ITEM WILL BE HOT.
- After it has cooled, remove the butcher paper and design.
Resources and Tips
- Schedule an appointment with the Creative Services Coordinator
- Watch videos about the Cricut EasyPress from the Official Cricut YouTube Channel
- Visit our User Guides on the Cricut Maker, Silhouette Cameo 4, and Sawgrass Sublimation Printer
Addison Public Library does not endorse nor profit form these links. These are suggestions of where you can purchase items or find resources, but are by no means an exhaustive list.