Use the guide below to see how long you can borrow different types of items. Unless otherwise specified, most of our items do not have quantity limits.
- New DVDs & Blu-rays
- Lucky Day DVDs & Blu-rays (limit 2*)
- New books
- Lucky Day books (limit 2*)
- New CDs
- DVDs & Blu-rays
- Video games (limit 2)
- Library of Things collection (limit 3)
- Wi-Fi Hotspots and Laptop Bundles (must be 18 years old to check out)
- Regular books
- Everything else!
* Limit 2 includes any combination of Lucky Day books, DVDs, or Blu-Rays.
- You won't be fined for returning items late, but if an item is more than 14 days overdue, your account will be unusable until the item is returned or paid for in full. Learn more about our fees for overdue or missing items.
- Teen Limited Access cardholders are limited to borrowing three items at a time. Teen Limited Access cardholders are unable to check out internet-enabled devices like laptops and mobile hotspots.
Borrowers from Other Libraries
- You are not eligible to place holds on any items.
- Remote access databases and downloadable/streaming services are not available for your use.
- Library of Things materials are not available at this time for checkout.
Effective July 7, 2022, many Addison Public Library items will automatically renew when you check them out! This means you no longer have to remember to renew items you want to keep for longer than the original loan period. This also means you have more time to enjoy the items you borrow!
Most library items can be renewed up to two times as long as no other patrons have a hold on the item. For example, when you borrow a book with a loan period of 4 weeks, the item can renew up to two times, which means you can get an additional 8 weeks to enjoy the book. If another patron puts a hold on your book after its first automatic renewal, the item you borrowed will not renew a second time.
The following items are not renewable:
- Items that another patron has on hold
- Lucky Day DVDs and Blu-rays
- Lucky Day books
- Interlibrary loan items
When an item has been automatically renewed, you will receive a courtesy notice 3 days before the item’s original due date. The notice will let you know that your item has been renewed and when it needs to be returned. You can also check due dates for items you borrow by logging into your library account at discover.addisonlibrary.org.